Thursday, March 1, 2012

March-April Art Gallery Exhibit Now on Display at Smyrna Public Library

Art by Betty Laygn on display through April.

ARTIST STATEMENT

Art and books are two of my loves and go hand in hand.

I majored in Art at Agnes Scott College and then graduated from Emory’s Division of Librarianship. My career has been as an elementary school librarian and I’ve loved presenting literature with beautiful illustrations to children.

When my husband, Bill, and I moved to Smyrna almost seven years ago, one of the first things we did was join the Friends of the Smyrna Library. We enjoy the benefits of living nearby. Our children are grown, but we’re the parents of Lily, a West Highland white terrier who loves her walks around the Library.

After not doing any art for a number of years, my friend, the accomplished Beverly Key, handed me some watercolors. When I asked her where to start, she said, “Paint what you like best first.” It’s been fun ever since. My subjects are my dogs, my garden, and my travels.

I’ve had wonderful teachers. I studied figure painting in pastels with Kate Fetterolf at Callanwolde. Now I’m enjoying my watercolor classes at the Chastain Art Center from my excellent teachers Kathy Rennell Forbes and Marie Matthews and being with a fun group of fellow students.

No comments:

Post a Comment