Friday, January 3, 2014

Watercolors exhibit by Ása Stigaard Opens in Art Gallery

Artist Statement:

The arts have always been a big part of Icelandic culture and I was brought up in an environment that fostered a deep appreciation of both art and music. My grandmother was an artist and I used to love watching her paint. Art was my favorite class in school where I developed my first interest in drawing and sketching.

When I left my home country to work for the Embassy of Iceland in Washington D.C., I began a long period of time in which managing my career and raising a family took precedence and overwhelmed my artistic instincts. But I knew how I wanted to spend my time once I retired.

In 2004 I began taking art classes again, this time at Kennesaw State University Continuing Education. I started with drawing and working with pen and ink before I discovered my passion: watercolor. I found that working with watercolor immersed me in the experience of creation and allowed my imagination to drive my artistic expression.

My work has been influenced by several instructors: Pat Fiorello, Gary Baughman, Pat Weaver, and, most especially, Kathy R. Forbes at Kennesaw. I continue to take classes at Kennesaw and after ten years of painting I have uncovered a deep appreciation for a medium that gives me insight into people, nature, and the world around me.

You can reach Asa at asamalm@earthlink.net

1 comment:

  1. Painting is a beautiful art, this beautiful painting made by Ása Stigaard . He is a really fabulous painter . art has always been a big part of ice-landing culture . Asa stigaard discovered his passion since his school time. We see your every painting of nature and we can see your imaginations in your art .

    ReplyDelete