Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Acrylic Paintings and Nature Photos by Nicole Lohr Opens in Display Gallery

Acrylic Paintings and Nature Photos by Nicole Lohr on display through October.

Read Artist Statement:

My name is Nicole Lohr, I was born in 1980 on Long Island, New York. I am a self-taught artist and work in a variety of media including acrylic paints, oil pastels, clay, photography and writing. Photography and writing are my favorites. My favorite style of art is abstract. I enjoy the freedom that the abstract expressionist style gives me to explore moods and ideas.

I am an avid photographer, which has been a passion for me since I was twelve years old. I take my inspiration from nature and love to photograph animals and birds. I hope that my photography reflects at least some of the beauty, peace and harmony I find in the natural world.

My passion for art began with my grandma Stanco who helped to raise me. We enjoyed many hours together making homemade cards and gifts for Christmas. We experimented with different kinds of art forms such as projects made from shells, pom poms, animals and much more.

Digital photography has become the art form that is most special to me. I experienced a very difficult home life and because of that, while growing up, I started taking pictures of family events trying to capture every good moment I could. I slowly found myself being more and more drawn by the beauty of nature and then wanting to capture every cool encounter I had with these wild creatures, whether it be birds, squirrels, bees, butterflies, dragon flies or even turtles and fish. I wanted to capture them all on my camera. I never try to pose anything, I just observe. I then listen and wait and watch and see what happens. I have a lot more patience with the animal world then I do with the people world.

Many of my nature shots are taken in Cobb county with several taken at the pond near the Smyrna Library. I enjoy traveling to take my shots and include places like the Chattahoochee Nature Center, Chattahoochee River trails, and Amicalola Falls.

I also really enjoy being playful with my oil pastels and my acrylic paints. I just sit down, pick up some colors, and start to create, never knowing how it is going to come out. I don't really think much when I'm doing it. I just clear my mind and something will come to me after I start to put the colors to the paper. I love to use my fingers and to use smudging techniques. I enjoy sharing my art, and I hope everyone enjoys it too.

I welcome all inquiries about my work and can be reached  at Mermie41780@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment